Saturday, June 14, 2008

Marienthal and Pickett

Last night I took my older kids up to see the Crescent Super Band perform with Eric Mariental (from Big Phat Band, Chick Corea) and Lennie Pickett (from Tower of Power and Saturday Night Live) up in Salt Lake. It was a fantastic concert, with both Eric and Lennie doing phenomenal things. Eric impressed with his technical skill, altissimo, solo content and personality. Lennie wasn't as animated as Eric, but he showed that he is still the master of altissimo on tenor. I can squeeze an extra octave out of my tenor, but I swear that he was getting two. Plus he did some fascinating stuff combining slap tongue and altissimo.

Anyway, those kinds of concerts are what inspire me and keep me going. I always encourage my students to get out and soak in these master performers, since it shows us what quality time in the practice room can do for us. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go practice my altissimo range.

1 comment:

Robb said...

Yeah, that was a really cool concert. I felt inspired watching those two cats play...especially when it was just the two of them, Lenny with the tounge-slap base line and Eric soloing over it.

It was an amazing night. It was good to see you again Berin, and wonderful to see so much of your family.

Good luck to you!