Wednesday, June 11, 2008

connected to website

I finally got a link to this blog put up on my website (www.saxmyax.com), so I guess I need to start talking about music. Now that we're in the summer months, I've noticed that many of my student's practice hours drop. There is more time available to practice, but more distractions. Plus, there is no longer a schedule to keep us as organized, so we tend to let activities take longer than necessary. What works for me is to schedule my practice time. Pick a time of the day and tell yourself that you will practice at that time every day possible. There will be times when something will come up and you won't be able to do it, but by having it scheduled, it will be much more likely to happen.

Summer is also a good time to get extra music listening in. Music is a language, and in order to be fluent, you must listen to fluent native speakers. So get out there and transcribe some John Coltrane.

No comments: